The weather here the past few days has been nothing short of gray and chilly. I am not a huge fan of continuous cold and gray weather, I am more of a sunshine girl! One thing that I do love about the colder season, however, is the excuse to make lots of comforting, soul warming soup!
One of our family favorites during the winter is Mitch’s pot roast stew. Now this recipe is amazing just as a pot roast, and sometimes that is all I have time for. I love throw and go recipes!! It is so liberating to literally throw ingredients into a slow cooker, and come home to a house smelling like a five star restaurant!!! I always feel like I cheat the system, and it definitely gets the kids excited to eat right away!
If you have a few extra minutes to spare, however, I highly suggest adding in the optional step at the end of the recipe. It really makes the flavors just pop!! Enjoy:)
Paleo Pot Roast Stew
2-4 lb roast
1 large yellow onion
3 medium sweet potatoes
2 cups chopped carrots
1 T liquid smoke
2 T melted ghee or coconut oil
2 T coconut aminos
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 T dried rosemary
5 cloves of diced garlic
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp of steak or BBQ seasoning (make sure to check label no gluten)
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
*1-2 cups bone broth
- Dice onion into fajita style long strips. Cube sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Place on bottom of slow cooker.
- Add liquid smoke, melted ghee or coconut oil, coconut aminos, vinegar, and rosemary to the veggies and stir to coat.
- Next mix garlic, salt, pepper, BBQ seasoning, and dried thyme together in a bowl and evenly coat pot roast with it.
- Place roast on top of sweet potatoes and onions. Pour carrots in around the roast.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Pull roast out and shred with fork.
- * OPTIONAL FOR STEW-Add bone broth to slow cooker and blend in a blender or with an immersion blender until semi-smooth. (Use caution if blending in regular blender to start slow and build up speed and do not overfill!) The add back in with the meat and and enjoy!!