We recently got back from a quick little family trip with our big boys in San Antonio! We had an absolute blast….the boys and the adults. In the past when I traveled I found it difficult and honestly completely consuming to worry about staying strict paleo. I wanted to get a taste of different cultures and of course I wanted to indulge, because who doesn’t do that on vacation? Although I always enjoyed the indulgences in the moment, as the vacation continued on I would find myself feeling guiltier and guiltier until I really wasn’t even enjoying myself anymore. Instead I was beating myself up about eating “bad” and on top of that, my body was not feeling in tip top shape due to the extra bloat, fatigue, and general blah that I feel when I get off the paleo train.
I found myself in this same situation midway through our family trip in San Antonio. Then I decided there had to be a better way soooo I made a plan, which those of you who know me know plans are my love language! I decided to allow myself to indulge where I saw fit knowing that when I got home I would be doing a one week reset. One week isn’t very long, which is exactly why I choose it! I first thought a month was appropriate, but that honestly felt like a punishment. I figured I could do a week, and at the end of it, I would at least be back on track, feeling good and motivated, and most likely want to continue into another week or more. If I could just get the ball rolling…I knew I would feel so much better, and that plan literally gave me instant peace throughout the rest of my trip!
Here are the guidelines I set for myself on my reset week:
- Greens at every meal
- Have a nutrient dense breakfast everyday
- Eat a large salad for lunch everyday
- Have bone broth or bone broth protein shakes twice a day
- Don’t worry about how much you consume of all the good stuff…if you want another portion of salad, eat it! Fill up on the good stuff!
- No grains, dairy, soy or sugar…none…not even a bite…its just for one week
- No alcohol
- Enjoy 8 ounces of kombucha a day to help detox
- Drink over 64 ounces of water a day
- Drink a scoop of a magnesium drink to help with detox before bed
- Ensure a full 8 hours of sleep every night
- Get in at least 4 cross fit workouts and one other day of easy cardio
These are just the guidelines I set for myself that helped tremendously. Your’s might look completely different. The point is, by setting up a plan, it gives you permission to fully enjoy yourself without fear of continuing down bad choice lane. You have set guidelines to follow as soon as your back and it takes the thinking out of the equation. You don’t have to worry about beating yourself up or trying to find the motivation to start back to your healthy lifestyle. Instead follow the contract you set up for yourself and you will be feeling incredible in no time. Hope this helps and happy reset!