I’m sure you have heard the buzz word “self-care” hundreds of times by now. If you are a woman and especially if you are a mom, self-care is what you are told is the answer to ALL of your stress.
But what exactly is self-care?! I have struggled with this question for years. Is it saying nice things to myself? Eating that delicious dessert after a long day? Squeezing in a bubble bath every night? Not exactly…
What Self-Care IS:
Self-care is anything we do to intentionally take care of our mental, emotional, and physical health. Seems simple enough right?! Practicing good self-care is imperative to a happier mood and reduced anxiety. It’s also a contributing factor in healthy relationships with yourself and others.
What Self-Care Is Not:
Self-care is not something we have to force ourselves to do that we don’t enjoy. Self-care is not something we do out of obligation. It is not something we do because “we should enjoy” doing it. Self-care does not take away from us in anyway, instead it refuels us.
Why You Need Self-Care:
Self-care IS NOT a selfish act. When we give more to ourselves, we can expect more from ourselves. If you wan’t to be a better wife, mom, friend, employee, etc. you have to FEED YOURSELF FIRST!!!
I know I am not alone with the struggle of putting myself on the back burner. It seems to be an ingrained trait for women to take care of everyone else before themselves, so how in the world do you turn it all around? Don’t! Instead tell yourself that in order to take care of all of those important people around you ever better, you have to care for yourself daily!
Here are some ideas to get you started!!
10 Ideas for Self-Care
- Find exercise you love and do it daily. Examples of this could be walking, running, weight lifting, yoga, Pilates, playing active games with the kids, etc.
- Put yourself to bed early. The dishes can wait.
- Seek out a smell you enjoy, close your eyes, inhale deeply, and notice how amazing it is.
- Get up 15 minutes earlier and do a gratitude morning routine.
- Make a list of things you truly enjoy (that don’t make you feel bad about yourself like junk food, etc.) and gift yourself one each day.
- Make a “no list” of things that you don’t wan’t to do anymore. Examples could include checking your phone after 9 pm, saying yes to invitations you don’t care about, mindless snacking, saying mean things to yourself.
- Meditate for 10 minutes a day. Learning to be in the present is a POWERFUL tool.
- Seek out something funny everyday and enjoy a belly laugh. When you are laughing, you are HEALING.
- Get outside everyday and notice what is around you. The warm sunshine on your face, the tickle of soft grass on your bare feet, the morning songs of a few birds.
- Connect with someone you love face to face daily. No texts, no Facebook, no emails, just eye contact and focused attention on your loved one. Ask them how their day was and then care enough to LISTEN.
Self-care isn’t just a nice thing we should do when we “get some free time.” It is MANDATORY if you want to live a RICH and FULFILLED life. It is necessary if you want to take your life and those around you to the next level!